Saturday, July 16, 2011

Weekends

I know that working at CQUniversity we all have to work on weekends from time to time. However it is always good to spend the weekend doing something completely different.

I have many hobbies. Most of you would know I am into aviation and have plane based at Rocky airport. My other main pastime is pottery.

I have set up a workshop in the shed at the VC residence which includes a wheel and kiln. This weekend I have done a glaze firing. Here is a picture of some of the items that came out of the kiln earlier today - I did not say I was any good at it!



One of my pottery projects at the moment is to use clay from Central Queensland to make pots. There is an old clay pit down by the Rocky airport. It would be good if I could find clay from each of the communities where we are based. Let me know if you know of any clay on or near the other campuses. Here is an example of a small dish made from clay from Rocky.



This is made with the raw clay direct from the ground. I am looking at ways to refine the clay to make it more workable. This pot was fired in the kiln then put into a fire pit in the garden with metal oxides around it. I am hopeful that I will be able to refine this kind of work so that I can give it as presents to university visitors. I like the idea of visitors taking a small part of C Q away with them.

I hope you are having an enjoyable weekend doing whatever you enjoy. If you make pots do send me some pictures of your work.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

GeeKay said...

Well done Scott. As an 'ex-potter' I know the satisfaction that is gained from working with various clays and the excitement when the kiln is opened. Just love the 'raw' CQ bowl. I still have some of my 'treasures' around the house. It's nice to know you can put some time away to play.

Vice Chancellor - CQUniversity said...

Always good to find time for this kind of thing. I was an ex potter - it is easy to get going again.........