Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I was all ears

Hi. I want to thank all the students who took part in the web cast this evening. I had a great time. It was all part of the I'm All Ears tour. It was good to hear what was on your mind. By getting your feedback we can make things better. I am hoping that we can do this again around Christmas. I will get your comments up on a web site and will give you feedback on how we are addressing your comments.

It was a little strange talking away to myself for an hour - but I have to say it was fun to have an interaction with a group of students I do not normally get a chance to engage with prior to graduation.

I wish you all the very best for your studies and look forward to talking to you again soon.

Regards

Scott

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott. I was unable to view your question and answer session live so had to watch the replay. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us and your plans for expansion of the non-Rocky campuses should be commended. Obviously we can't do everything on every campus but it sounds like there will be serious senior appointments which (finally) means serious programs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott for taking your time for the welfare of the students!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Scott,

I appreciate the direction and the leadership you are taking within the University and the Community.

I am an academic staff, and think it is great to offer so many different opportunities to obtain feedback.

However, and yes there is a however this needs to be tempered with the expectation and requirement that students and staff attempt to resolve their concerns with the 1st point of contact.

It has been my experience that it is routine for student to make complaints throughout the University without any contact with the lecturer, the program director or the dean.

It is very difficult to build and maintain effective working relationships when one is not provided with opportunities to resolve the issue.

Perhaps, there needs to be some communication around solving issues in a solution focused framework. This would provide opportunities for staff and students to work together more effectively, reduce the number of complaints and reduce the workload of those people outside the program trying to resolve issues etc.

Thanks for listening.